To Purchase a Swiss Pass or not?
I am trying to decide if I need to purchase a Swiss Pass ( which type) for travel between Zurich - Grindelwald. I will be staying in Grindelwald for 2 nights. We are traveling in a party of two.
This is my tentative itinerary:
- 13 June 2012 Zurich -Interlaken - Grindelwald
- 14 June Stay Grindelwald (going up to Jungfraujoch)
- 15 June Grindelwald - Zurich
- 16 June Zurich airport - flight home
Purchase a Swiss Pass or not
The best priced option for you would be:
- Half Fare Card for CHF 110.00 plus a ticket Zürich Airport - Jungfraujoch CHF 164.10 = Total of 274.40 per person
You can buy half fare card and tickets upon arrival at the airport. You only need your passport, no photo needed. Of course, you could buy it online as well, but it's quick and easy at the Rail (SBB) travel center in the Check-in 3 area. Ticket counters are open 6:15am to 10pm.Alternative option
If you travel directly from Zürich Airport to Grindelwald
and back to Zürich Airport, you could purchase a Transfer Ticket for CHF 130 and a so-called Good Morning or Good Afternoon Ticket to Junfraujoch from Grindelwald: CHF 130 = Total cost of CHF 260 per person.
The Swiss Transfer Ticket
has to be bought before your departure
from home, either online
or from your travel agent. Good Morning
and Good Afternoon Tickets
- but do read the fine print before you buy. You can purchase that ticket at Interlaken, Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen train stations.TIP:
Check with your hotel. Sometimes they offer overnight packages with tickets from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch included. If that's the case, you'd only have to buy either a Swiss Half Fare Card and a ticket from Zürich to Grindelwald or the Swiss Transfer Ticket (roundtrip ticket to Grindelwald included).
Have a safe journey and enjoy your stay in Switzerland!FidaPS: Prices are subject to change.